With the upcoming release of Legendary's Kong:Skull Island we figured it would be a great time to do a list of the best King Kong Movies. (Starting from the worst to the best)Without hesitation let the countdown begin :
7) King Kong Lives (1986)- the direct sequel to the 1976 remake, stars Linda Hamilton, this might be the worst sequel in cinema history. Definitely the worst Kong movie. Somehow Kong survived being shot by the helicopters and the fall from the Twin Towers. He is given a heart transplant. Scientists discovered another giant gorilla, who is a female,and Kong is given a blood transfusion. Kong and Miss Kong fall in love with chaos following. I recommend you only view this film if your completely desperate.
5) King Kong (1976) the is a remake of the classic 1933 film. Stars Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange. There was some changes compared to the original. Instead of a film company looking for a location, it's an oil company looking for a new sight. One of the best gorilla suits was designed and used by legendary special effects creator Rick Backer. Not too much adventure like the original. Movie had potential but lacks action. Kong only fights a giant snake. I have to admit that I still get choked up watching Kong get gunned down by helicopter in this version. This is a must watch for all Kong fans.
4) King Kong Escapes (1967)- Toho studios (created Godzilla) attained the rights for Kong and made an enjoyable movie. Before everyone starts going crazy I rated this movie higher than the 76 version because as a kid it was one of my favorite kaiju films. An evil ruler kidnaps Kong for excavating these rock/crystals. These rocks give off some type of radiation which affected his MechaKong. Kong escapes and battles his robot counterpart in Tokyo. This Kong flick has some good monster battles and it a good watch for a rainy Saturday.
3)King Kong (2005) Peter Jacksons (Lord of the Rings) tries to keep his good fortune with movies rolling forward with this remake of the 33 version. Same idea as the original with a film company looking for a location. The special effects are very good. The dinosaurs look as good as Jurassic Park. The main problem with this film is it's so long. On the DVD it's 22 chapters before you see Kong. Jackson version is such a drama. A love story where you sympathize with the lead characters. It does have one of the best T-Rex Vs Kong fight scenes, which is the only reason I still watch this movie.
2) King Kong Vs Godzilla (1962)- This is the highest grossing Godzilla film ever(31 films and counting). The third installment in the Godzilla universe that has a much more comedic feel to it. A pharmaceutical company captures King Kong from his island because they are tired of Godzilla. The two monsters battle it out on Mount Fuji. This is one of my personal favorite childhood movies. Two of my favorite giant monsters fighting on the big scene. The Kong suit is absolutely horrible, so of the characters are goofy, but there is something special that makes thing film so good. A classic Kaiju film that people of all ages will enjoy. I know I'm anxiously waiting for the remake in 2020.
1) King Kong (1933)- What else would be #1 on our Kong List? The Original giant monster movie that started it all. A film company looking for a location to finish its film, land on an island that time forgot. This is also a long film but has much better flow than Jackson's film. There is nonstop action once the natives sacrificed Ann (Fay Wray) to Kong. Even though stop motion is outdated, this is still a great watch. You definitely should watch this movie before seeing any other Kong movie.